Friday, October 25, 2013

The (somewhat) Daily Devo: Because of my Chains

Philippians 1:14 NIV And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear. I don't like hurting; going through hard times; being limited by disease. Anymore than Paul--the writer of the letter--liked being chained to a damp wall, or kept in a filthy cage in utter darkness among rodents and the screams of the torchered and crazed, eating only what brave friends managed to bring him when they could bribe their way in. Apparently there is a difference between liking something painful, limiting, challenging and...finding joy in it. Because Paul measured his misery against the advance of the Good News. "Other Christ-followers are sharing about Christ more--and more confidently--because I'm going through this. OK. Good deal." Jesus never promised an easy life. He did promise He would be there. Father, whatever I experience, whether so pleasant I forget pain or the worst sort of pain this evil world can dredge up, I pray you, in your miraculous way, will make the most of it to draw me and others closer to your Son. In Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment