Wednesday, December 18, 2013

T(s)DD: Pacem

Romans 5:1-2 NIV Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.

Those of us who didn't grow up circa AD 90 somewhere within the sprawling borders of the Greco-Roman Empire owe a lot to Bible translators. All the same, I often wonder why New Testament translators, upon encountering a word more than once, render it differently.

I'm genuinely certain they know what they're doing.

All the same, I think it is helpful to know that "righteousness" and "justification" are pretty much the same word. God's righteousness... making us righteous by faith...peace with God. Has a certain symmetry.

Father, as I sit aside my Christmas tree, the word peace in these verses takes on the special meaning due it, owing to the season. Thank you that in the coming of your Son our "justification"--our "being made righteous" is set in motion, giving way to peace between you and I--you and us--through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment