Friday, January 24, 2014

Why Your Pastor Wants You To Memorize Scripture

I hope if you have been around me for any length of time you know a few things about me:  I am not perfect.  I don’t claim to be perfect.  I am, however, closer to the Image of Christ than I used to be--growing (by fits and starts) more like Him all the time. 

One of the key factors in my growth in Christ over the past 34 years (yes, since I was 17!) is the discipline of memorizing Scripture.  Loving you as I do, I want you to have this discipline as a “growth factor” in your life as well.  Having God’s Word “in there” has made a profound difference in my life.  Because knowing God’s Word by memory has the potential to…

1. Strengthen your Relationship with God.   2 Timothy 3:16-17 says,

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.  (NLT)

2. Make You More Effective in Sharing Your Faith.

15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)

If God’s Word is in your heart (because you’ve taken time to memorize it) it will be more readily available to you when someone wants to know why you believe what you believe. 

3. Help You Make It Through Tough Times. Jeremiah the Prophet had it rough.  It is as if his entire existence was one continual challenging circumstance.  This is what He had to say about God’s Word in Jeremiah 15:16 (NLT): 

When I discovered your words, I devoured them.
    They are my joy and my heart’s delight,
for I bear your name,
    Lord God of Heaven’s Armies.

Please do not literally eat your Bible.  I am reasonably sure this is not what Jeremiah is saying.  The lesson here is that Scripture “injested” in our memory has the power to lighten our heavy load, calm us down, even make us joyful in the midst of life’s storms. 

4. Put You More In Tune with God’s Will.

It often surprises me to hear people ask “What is God’s Will for my life?” when they are not obeying the simplest Biblical instruction.  So here’s a rule to live by:  

Knowing and obeying the observable Will of God
offered in the Bible for everyone
is a crucial first step
to discerning the obscure Call of God
for your personal life.

And knowing His “observable will” by heart is a useful step in that direction! 

Psalm 119:105 says,

Your word is a lamp to guide my feet
    
and a light for my path.

5. Help you overcome temptationPsalm 119 is helpful here also, this time, verse 11: 

I have hidden your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.

So there you go.  Incredibly helpful and foundationally shaping for me, I offer it to you in your walk with Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment