Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The (somewhat) Daily Devo: When It's Not So Easy

Philippians 4:10-13 NIV I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

This is amazing all of itself without a hint of context. It's even sentimental. No wonder bits of it make their way to the inspirational plaques and posters. Consider, then, what lies behind.

Paul writes this from prison. Not the humane incarceration we think of; dark, dank, utterly hopeless, chained-to-something, starve-while-your-clothes-rot-unless-your-friends-or-relations-bribe-their-way-in-to-smuggle-you-food-and-clothing prison.

Want to take a moment and read it again?

Ran errands with my 11-year-old son Sunday. We talked a bit about the world into which he is growing up: a world less and less tolerant of Christ and those who confess His Name. A gathering storm. A world not unlike Paul's. (Shudder)

Agree with Paul? Ready to give up whatever comfort or freedom your confession demands of you, draw on Christ's strength, and declare yourself content?

Steel our resolve, Lord, in the gathering storm. We lift up our brothers and sisters throughout the world who's worship houses burn and who are this very day imprisoned, beaten, tortured, killed for that which we so freely and even conveniently confess. Steel yet more our resolve, Lord Jesus, to ever lay claim upon your Holy Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment