Thursday, November 14, 2013

T(s)DD: Claim to Fame

Romans 1:1-4 NIV Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God— the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures regarding his Son, who as to his earthly life was a descendant of David, and who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.

Just noticing something about the opening greeting of this fairly typical Greco-Roman correspondence. The first three words: "Paul, a servant..." the only thing he proceeds to say of himself is that his only claim to fame, in a matter of speaking, is what God did with him. "Called...set apart for the Gospel...."

Wonder what might happen if I approached every situation and relationship with the settled conviction of my servitude in Christ, and the rather liberating grasp upon the reality that my significance rests solely in what God has and will do with me by His gracious choice.

I am yours, Lord.
Just as I am.
Without one plea.
You hold all the cards in these negotiations.
My only hope lies in that which you offered when your blood, Lord Jesus, was shed for me, and the unfathomable fact that you call and invite me to come to you.
I come.
I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment